The Science Foundation Ireland is delighted to support the Royal Society – Science Foundation Ireland University Research Fellowships. A number of research award will be granted to highly scholars who are currently entering early stage of research career in the field of life and physical sciences. The successful fellows will receive a competitive salary and research expenses. To apply, the application packet must be submitted no later than the deadline below.
This scheme is for outstanding scientists in the Republic of Ireland who are in the early stages of their research career and have the potential to become leaders in their field. The scheme provides the opportunity to build an independent research career. Those appointed are expected to be strong candidates for permanent posts in universities or research bodies at the end of their fellowships. The scheme covers all areas of the life and physical sciences, including engineering but excluding clinical medicine and direct biomedical research. Successful candidates will be awarded a fellowship by the Royal Society, the cost of which will be met by Science Foundation Ireland.
- 80% of the basic salary costs up to £40,030.34 in the first year, estates costs and indirect costs. (Under the full economic costing model, 80% of these costs will be met by the Royal Society).
- Research expenses (up to £13,000 for the first year and up to £11,000 annually thereafter).
Level and Area of Studies
Research degree in all areas of the life and physical sciences, including engineering but excluding clinical medicine and direct biomedical.
Place of Study
The research will be taken in Republic of Ireland
Eligibility and Criteria
To be eligible, you must meet the criteria as follow:
- have a PhD (note applicants who have just submitted their PhD will not be considered)
- be in the early stages of their research career and must have between 3 to 8 years of research experience since their PhD by the closing date of the round
- not hold a permanent post in a university or not-for-profit organization in the European Economic Area (EEA)
- be a citizen of the EEA or a Swiss citizen (or have a relevant connection to the EEA or Switzerland)
- The European Economic Area (EEA) consists of the European Union plus Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.
Please see the above eligibility information.
The application should be made online through the online system at the website and application link below.
4 September 2017