The United Nation Human Rights currently offers a number of awards of ONHR Fellowship for African Decent people living in Diaspora. The fellowship aimed to support fellows obtaining better understanding of the United Nations human rights system. The fellowship covers all of the related expenses during the program. To apply, the completed application form must be submitted no later than 15 June 2017.
The ONHCR Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent provides the participants with an intensive learning opportunity to deepen their understanding of the United Nations human rights system, instruments and mechanisms, with a focus on issues of particular relevance to people of African descent. The Fellowship Programme will allow the participants to better contribute to the protection and promotion of civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of people of African descent in their respective countries. The first Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent was launched by the Anti-Racial Discrimination Section of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights in 2011 in the context of the International Year for People of African Descent.
The United Nation Human Rights covers a return ticket (economy class) from the country of residence to Geneva; basic health insurance; and a stipend to cover modest accommodation and other living expenses for the duration of the Programme.
Level and Area of Studies
This is non-degree program held from 13 November to 1 December 2017 which is aimed to deepen applicant’s understanding of the United Nations human rights system, instruments and mechanisms, with a focus on issues of particular relevance to people of African descent.
Place of Study
The program will be taken in Geneva, Switzerland.
Eligibility and Criteria
The qualified candidates are required to meet all of the requirements as follow:
- Must be an individual of African descent living in the Diaspora.
- Have a minimum of 4 years of work experience related to the rights of People of African.
- Good command of the English language to be able to participate fully in the ONHCR Fellowship programme.
- Submit a letter of support from an organization working on issues related to African.
- Must be available to attend the full duration of the programme.
People of African Descent living in the Diaspora are welcome to apply.
All of the following documents must be submitted electronically due to the deadline:
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A completed, signed and scanned Application Form in one single document.
- A Personal Statement
- An Official Letter of Support from the nominating organization or community
- A copy of the applicant’s passport.
15 June 2017.