Applications are now invited for the IRO PhD Scholarships for 2016 entry. Students from developing countries are exclusively invited to apply this doctoral scholarship. The winning candidates will receive benefits of fully funded award for the duration of the study. To apply, the application packet must be submitted due to 13 Novembe each year.
As one of its contributions to development co-operation, K.U. Leuven offers IRO (Interfaculty Council for Development Co-operation) scholarships to deserving students from developing countries to do their PhD in the largest university in Flanders, Belgium.
This scholarship is a fully-funded award that covers waived tuition fees, monthly allowance, housing allowance, installation allowance, health insurance, accident insurance, and return flight tickets.
Level and Area of Studies
Doctoral or pre-doctoral programmes in Humanities and Social Sciences, Science, Engineering and Technology, or Biomedical Sciences.
Place of Study
At Katholieke Universiteit in Flanders, Belgium
Eligibility and Criteria
All interested students are expected to meet the requirements as named below:
- The applicant must be a citizen of one of the countries on the OCDE DAC table that are considered as: Least Developed Countries, Low Income Countries or Low Middle Income Countries.
- The applicant may not possess a citizenship from an EU country. The applicant may not posses a long-term EU residence permit.
- The candidate’s latest master’s degree must have been awarded no more than ten years prior to 1 October 2017 (including the ongoing calendar year).
- The candidate must hold an academic qualification at least equivalent to a high distinction. Degrees obtained with a final score equivalent to second class second/lower division will not be taken into consideration.
- Excellent academic quality of the research project, focusing on the development relevance of the proposal.
- The candidate must demonstrate a development-oriented motivation.
- The candidate must be supported by a local co-promoter at the candidate’s home country to ensure embeddedness of the research within the country’s context.
- The candidate must be supported by excellent recommendations from relevant referees.
- The candidate must follow the application procedure and complete his file before 13 November 2016.
Those who are coming from Least Developed Countries, Low Income Countries or Low Middle Income Countries are welcome to apply.
The application should be made online through the online system at website link below.
13 November each year.