Applications for the HBOAccess Writing Fellowship Program are currently being accepted. This scholarship is fully sponsored by Home Box Office, Inc. (“HBO”). All participants must be the United States citizens who have previously served as staff writer for up to 6 episodes. A range of benefits will be given to the winning fellows. The closing date of application is 4 March 2017.
Home Box Office, Inc. (“HBO”) is offering it’s “The HBOAccess Writing Fellowship” Program for the applicants who have previously served as staff writer for up to 6 episodes. The fellowship is designed to give emerging, diverse writers the opportunity to develop a half-hour or hour script suitable for HBO or Cinemax. The program will select up to 8 diverse writers to take part in a series of master classes held over one week in July at the HBO campus in Santa Monica.
- The program will select up to 8 diverse writers to take part in a series of master classes held over one week in July at the HBO campus in Santa Monica.
- Classes will consist of discussions with HBO executives and showrunners and will focus on the craft of writing including structure, story, and character as well as the business aspects of securing an agent and effective networking.
Level and Area of Studies
Non-degree program in film industry.
Place of Study
In the United States of America.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Must be a U.S. citizen in order to apply
- Any diverse writer, 21 or over, who meets the application requirements
- Applicants may have previously served as staff writer for up to 6 episodes. They should not have had a feature film released by a studio, independently or shown in major film festivals. They can also not have had a play professionally produced on Broadway. Ideally, applicants should be interested in staffing on an HBO or Cinemax series
- For the purposes of the HBOACCESS program, diversity is defined as those who identify as any of the following: Asian, Pacific Islander, Sub-Continental Asian, Black, Hispanic, Native American, Middle Eastern. Diversity is also defined as those who identify as female or transgender
- This program is for those who would like to work in hour and half-hour series television.
- Those who work for HBO directly are ineligible for the program
Only the United States citizens are invited to apply.
The application package must be consisting the materials as follow:
- FilmFreeway Application
- Resume or Bio
- Original Scripted Narrative Material
- Answer to short essay questions
March 4, 2017, at 12 pm ET/9am PT.